In geologic history, Celilo Falls was carved by the repeated floods that coursed through the Columbia River Gorge at the end of the last ice age, creating a roughly 15-mile stretch of chutes, rapids, eddies, small islands and, as a result, ideal fishing sites in the arid rain shadow of the Cascade Mountains. In native oral traditional stories, the falls are the remains of the dam built by the five Swallow Sisters to block salmon from returning upriver. Coyote tricked the sisters, destroyed the dam, and the resulting flood left the falls and the rocky, contorted riverbed downstream. As punishment for keeping salmon from the people, Coyote ordered swallows to fly up the river each spring to announce the return of salmon.
- Best Fishing location lost
- Flooded today with loss of memories
- Trading Locations and history lost
- Congressional authorization of The Dalles Dam, in 1950.
- 1958 on implementation of the Lower Columbia River Fishery Development Program
- non-Indian fishers used fish wheels
- Today Celilo Village is a collection of homes built on a bluff above the falls: Interstate 84
- Union Pacific Railroad tracks and Highways cover the memories
- It's Time to remove this deadbeat Dams