by Karisa Arterbury
Hello, we hope you've had an amazing 2018 and I'm really excited to touch base with you before it ends. If you've wanted to give back to the Ocean and haven't been quite sure about how to, this is your opportunity!
Ocean Blue works to heal beaches and waterways that all flow to the Ocean - a single global ecosystem that is in dire need of our support. This year, we are featured as 1 of 150 nonprofits in Willamette Week's Give!Guide. When you give at least $10 you receive prizes from Ocean Blue's awesome sponsors, Mountain Rose Herbs tea and Faeries Dance organic clothing, in addition to gifts from sponsors and chances to win big prizes from the Give!Guide on Big Give Days. These happen TODAY and each week through December.
Info on the Big Give Day prizes can be found on the bright yellow pdf at the bottom of this page or you can get right down to business and donate here now.
For the last day of the fundraiser, and the last day of the year, Ocean Blue is throwing a Blue Year's Eve Celebration all day at the Oregon Public House! We hope you'll join us! Details coming soon...
Let me know if any of these other ways to support Ocean Blue ring true to you:
1. Donate in-kind items for Blue Year's Eve raffle!
2. Make a matching Give!Guide sponsorship of any amount!
3. Become an Annual Grassroots Member (which you can also do through the Give!Guide by donating at least $50!
4. Eat at the Oregon Public House any time on New Year's Eve because Ocean Blue will receive part of what you spend that day!
If you've already contributed, thank YOU! If you're not ready to contribute, please reach out anyway. I like to know what each of you are up to and to keep this global community that we're all a part of growing!
We are all ripples and together we make waves! Thank you for sharing our vision of a clean world ocean! I'll be in touch about future Big Give Days. Until then, go make waves!
by Karisa Arterbury
Did you know that planting trees cleans the ocean?
It’s because water flows downstream and inland water sources end up in the ocean eventually.
Here’s a quick rundown of how it works:
1. Trees provide shade for streams and rivers, stabilizing water temperatures. Water that’s too warm grows algae.
2. Trees stabilize river banks, creating a buffer zone and reducing erosion. The more stable a bank is, the cleaner the water will be.
3. Tree roots filter polluted storm water. Before rain water washes dirty streets into waterways, organisms that exist in symbiotic relationships with the trees keep toxins from flowing into waterways.
4. Tree roots suck up excess water. When heavy rains arrive the roots help reduce flooding. Flooding contributes to erosion and polluted storm water runs into streams and rivers.
5. Trees create wildlife habitat and birds spread seeds from native plants to create more habitat.
6. Trees take in carbon emissions so the ocean doesn’t have to.
Ocean Blue is planting Trees for Streams right now along Periwinkle Creek in Albany, Oregon as part of a goal to plant #1millionby2025!
Within a year or two after planting you can rest in the shade under the tree you plant. Not only do trees help clean the ocean, they reduce dependency on coal and provide economic value to communities. Shaded homes require less energy to cool, lowering carbon emissions and reducing energy costs.
Support Trees for Streams through Willamette Week’s Give!Guide today!
Give 2 Native Trees by donating $10 Dollars and Win amazing gifts!
Prizes you will win!
The first 50 donors will receive a 4 oz. bag of tea from Mountain Rose Herbs and the first 100 donors will receive a $10 gift certificate to organic clothing store Faeries Dance.
We don't just plant Trees for Streams. Through the Wildlife Enhancement Program, we use a holistic ecosystem approach that allows flora and fauna to thrive!
Thank you for supporting Ocean Blue and The Give!Guide 2018 of Portland!